27.5.08

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!

Owen had a doctor appointment today and we have decided not to immunize him (well we talked about getting a couple of them but with Joe not there I didn't remember which one it was).  So when the doctor asked me I said we aren't going to do it at this time. Then she says well just watch the news and be careful where you take him 
WHAT?!!!! 
Now I don't know what to do. Am I making the wrong choice? Is he really going to catch Measles or some other random thing?  So I really need your help!!!!!  Did you get your kids Immunized, Or if you got just a couple of them WHICH ONES?  Please leave a comment even if I don't know you!  I will take anyones advice right now.

24 comments:

Amy said...

Tough subject. It is hard to keep a good balance, but we have immunized Zack & he hasn't had any problems. I feel like sometimes the immunizations get a bad rapt for a few problems that may or may not be linked to them -- but in reality when the measles were killing people, the immunization was a life saver. So where do you balance it with your own kid? You obviously don't want your child to be the one to have a problem with an immunization. So my advice is to pay attention to Owen. Take note of how he is developing & decide what you think is best for him.

Tyler Jorgenson said...

I think that this is perplexing most parents right now. We were really close to not immunizing, but we couldn't find any Dr's that suggested it. We found a lot of forums, talk shows, Moms, etc that said they thought the immunizations caused this or that but no hard proof. The only thing I didn't like was that they give so many shots at one time, and have combined so many immunizations into one(ie MMR). I guess insurance won't cover them if you don't get them all at the same time, but we spaced them out a bit for my son. My wife spent a lot of time losing sleep over this, so she probably has better advice. Having lived in a region of the world where there immunizations are not as easy to access as they are here it's just too hard for me to risk my child catching Measles or something that is preventable. We spaced ours out for our son because we heard boys are having a higher tendency towards autism... but I agree with Amy in the earlier comment. Pay attention and watch Owen's development. Good luck! :)

sarah said...

Talk to Erika. She is a good resource on stuff like that. She gave us a bunch of things to read. We still haven't given Ashley any shots but will start in july on her birthday. She was exposed to Measles two and a half weeks ago and so far so good. It is tough but I think that you should wait. But I also think that you need to talk to Erika.

Jenn said...

We have immunized both of our children. I know there is a lot of information for both sides, but I have figured that the diseases are not as common these days because of medical advancements and immunizations.
The only side effects have been that they cry while they are getting the shot (it only takes a few seconds) and sometimes have a fever for a few hours immediately after. This may be a small sacrifice for years of peace of mind.
Good luck with your decision.

The Bishops said...

We have and continue to immunize both of our kids, but we were also apprehensive at first. There is so much information out there now with the internet it almost makes it harder because you can find compelling arguments for both sides. However, we looked at it as there is a reason why we have modern medicine and why they are trying to prevent major sickness for our generation. If they are exposed it could be too late if they don't have the armor for their little bodies to fight off the sickness that the shots prevent. I don't know it is a tough call, but I have always stood by the fact that as a mother and parents, you do as you feel is right for your child. That is the beauty and curse of being a parent I guess! Love the pics, Owen is tooooo cute!

Anonymous said...

I had Taylor get all of her shots. But everyone has a story to back up their advice. I have heard of people waiting until their children are 2 years and others just getting 1 or 2 at a time, doesn't matter which ones. Good Luck.
Kellyn

The Fast Family said...

Very hard subject, That I still lose sleep over. Hudsen has all her shots. But Clarke only has his first set. For some reason I just didn't have a good feeling about Clarke getting his shots right now. I guess all the talk on autism really freaked me out. So we have decided to wait until he is a little older before he gets any more. Sorry I know Im not much help. Love ya.

Jessica Kettle said...

don't you worry too much about it. I personally of course feel you made a good choice. And that is good advice from the doc too. really, it's just important for YOU to feel good about your decision. Talk to some people who have gone both ways and do some of your own research too. My experience has been that anyone who is extremely bothered and opinionated one way or the other usually has some bad information. I think it's important and empowering to know the FACTS yourself.
I second the idea that you should talk to Erica- she seemed to be very rational about the whole thing as well as have loads of info on the subject.
and for the record, people don't die of measles.

the murdocks said...

You do what you feel. Just so you know, almost all my siblings (6 of us) didn't get immunized and it's safe to say we are some of the healthiest kids I know...seriously. My little brothers hardly EVER get sick...so you weigh out the options and do what your gut tells you. The last shots Cooper got were at 9 months and I have been scared of them ever since...just cause of all the stuff I heard about autism. So I figured the chance of him getting autism was WAY higher than the chance of him getting one of those diseases. I am debating on my next kid. You can also wait till he is two or something so they aren't so little...my parents did that. Ok, nuf said...sorry to go on and on.

ashley said...

for the most part i think that shots are alright, but just be sure to space them out! they don't need to get so many at once- four at one time is too much!

there is one shot that you are supposed to ask for the type without the preservative in it, which is what they think they are finding may lead to autism.

it is so hard to know what to do. i would say space them and talk to your nurses at the dr's office. they only want the best for your kids, and a few tears is better than some of the nasty sickness that they can get. and i will try to find which shot it is that has the "bad preservative" but i think it is one they get when they are a year.

Benjamin said...

Well we don't even have kids yet but Ben and I have already decided that we would not innoculate our kids. Medical technology is great - but when is too far? Even now days babies are getting far more put into their little systems than we ever did as kids, and its the same across the board even though not all kids are the same and all of their systems are going to handle it the same. You do have to do what you feel in your heart is right. We have a little bit of a bias also because my MS (multiple Sclerosis) symptoms were brought on by a flu shot and resulting virus - yes I would have had MS anyway, but getting the innoculation caused the symptoms to surface where they may not have for years. Good luck guys and good with your heart - you'll make whatever decision is right for you!

aubri said...

After working with autistic kids I've decided that I'm going to wait for at least the first year after Emmett's born. They're still doing research on links from shots to autism but I guess I'm skeptical especially since it's WAY more common in boys. I can find you some factual info if you'd like. Just let me know. I'm sure if you and Joe pray about it together it could help out a lot, too!

Gretchen J said...

Brittany
I immunized both Emma and Isaac according to the "schedule" the doctors use. We have never had any adverse side effects such as fevers, tired, sick, nothing. The only thing they get are some tears and a band-aid. Those are my kids. I understand the arguments and see pros and cons to both sides. Remember that you are the parent, you know Owen better than any doctor and you are the one that can decide which shots to give him and when. You're the boss. They work for you!! No matter what you decide it will be what is best for you, Owen and your family. You are loved and supported always!
Luvs to you!!

Anonymous said...

I randomly came across your blog...I'm a friend or rachel and shellie gardners. I too feel you should go with what you feel is right for your kids. However, you should do some research, not just take advice from other people. Personally, I immunized both my kids and plan to continue doing so. Arguements are compelling on both sides though. There are a lot of things you can do to mitigate the risks by spacing them out (not getting so many at once) and getting the ones without the preservatives in it. And some insurance plans may not cover them when you space them out, but it might be worth the extra $ to safegaurd your child from the risk of getting autism AND the risk of catching some preventable disease (that it is possible to die from).
raechal carron
p.s. Measles can actually kill people...try 200 million in the last 150 years. even chicken pox can be deadly in the wrong circumstances.

courtneyb said...

I think you should wait until they are at least 2. From what I learned scientifically in Microbiology and Physiology, babies are too small and have to undeveloped of an immune system to be receiving the shots. My first was fully immunized from the start but with my third, I've felt that I should wait with her. I'm trying to pull things from my memory, which isn't the most reliable, but some of the shots don't even last long. Like the chicken pocks is only good until about your 30's. If you catch it then, it's far worse than catching it as a 1 year old. The media makes a bigger deal about things than they really are. Remember the anthrax scares after 9/11? But if your really torn, it's something you should pray about and do what feels best for your family and little Owen.

Anonymous said...

I have four kids and all have had shots. There have been no side affects. Actually for my youngest, seven months the doctors called and she had to get her MMR early because there has been on outbreak of measles in Arizona. SCARY!!

Melinda said...

Okay, So I haven't checked blogs in forever since I don't blog anymore. I just have to say your baby is so stinking cute. Robyn showed me your blog when I was at her house one day and we were both commenting on how cute he was.

As far as immunizations go, I think you should definately get it done!!! There is so much research out there that discusses both sides, but it seems like it is a trend right now in our culture to focus all of our attention on the negative implications, even if the postive outweighs the negative. The risks of not getting your child vaccinated far outweigh any unproven risk of getting them.

The reason we are not facing problems with many of the infectious diseases that people dealt with decades ago, is because there was a higher rate of people that were vaccinated over the past few decades. However, some of these diseases are still prevalent and if fewer people opt to not vaccinate their children, then some of these infectious diseases that are still around will spread more easily and infect more people. I feel very strongly about it. I also took a Microbiology class my last semester before I graduated that was so informative. Good luck with your decision! Take care!

Christina said...

Wow, plenty of advice! lol. I have immunized all three of the kids so far and think it's best for us. We are watching our kids too but have an autistic niece as well, none of her other siblings have autism and all four have been imunized... we just take our chances if something will happen and figure we've been through our fair share of trials so far already... anyways, rambling. Do what you feel is best hon... no one can make you do it!

Cooper Squared said...

From what I have studied and heard, it is only something to be concerned about if there is a link to autism in the family.

amanda said...

Brittany,
My son has all of the recommended immunizations and Molly has them so far. She will get them all as the time comes.
Some people don't get the mmr or space it out to try and prevent autism. My personal belief is that there has to be some underlying cause of autism...otherwise, every child who has the mmr would be autistic. I also believe that if it is in God's plan for my child to have autism, then it will happen no matter what immunizations I get or don't get.
I also feel that the diseases we vaccinate against are starting to make a come back because people don't vaccinate. I don't want my children to have to deal with these diseases, therefore I vaccinate. Good luck with your decision. It is a tough one.

Sarah said...

Hi Brit, I am a friend of Jess and stumbled upon your blog. I have not immunized either of my children. If you want to start, I also suggest spacing them and not bombarding their little systems so young. If a baby doesn't know how to sue the bathroom with control yet, why tell their body to fight all these diseases in small form (which is what the shots are). I would check out each disease and see what happens. For example: the rubella is similar to the flu and if they catch it you let it run its course. By the way, the shots with the preservative are the MMR and the flu shot. I know this is a tough decision. The only thing I am way strict on is making sure the docs listen to you and your decision. Don't let them make you feel guilty or like you are doing something wrong no matter which way you decide. They are there to help if you need and to offer advice, they are not Owen's parents. If they make you feel wrong, I suggest finding another office which makes you feel comfortable either way. Sorry for the long post, especially by a stranger!! :)

Sarah said...

Okay, another random post, I meant use the bathroom, not sue the bathroom!! sorry!!!

Sarah said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Brittany Bruce's and I came upon your blog. I have done a lot (A LOT) of my own research for both sides of the fence, because I was truly undecided on this subject! I found a really great article (the cover story, actually) in Time magazine, the first week of June issue. It really opened my eyes as to *why* there are such low threats and outbreaks of communicable diseases in first world countries, and why the CDC (center for Disease Control) recommends vaccinations. My philosophy became such that it was a good thing to vaccinate, however, not in 6 shots at one time (which is a common practice). If you can find the TIME article, I think it would really help you to make an informed decision based on scientific evidence and not from heresay or peer pressure. GOOD LUCK! :)

Sarah said...

And one more thing... thimerasol is no longer used as a preservative in vaccinations if you are concerned about mercury content or the possible link of autism. Thimerasol was taken out of all vaccinations in 2002, if I remember correctly.